Queen of the Remote Control – by Sujata G. Bhatt
Synopsis: It’s 1999 and the seemingly boundless days of the dot.com bubble. Shilpa Shah, a bright, sarcastic 17 year-old, longs to smash the glassy screen of her Indian family’s upper middle class LA life. When her brother and his fiance arrive from Silicon Valley, the screen shatters loosing all the ugly secrets of class, color, greed, and religion her parents have guarded for years.
Setting: Los Angeles
Time Period: 1999
Cast Size: 5
Casting: 2M, 3W
Design Needs: flexible set
- Production, Sacramento Theatre Company, Sacramento, November, 2005-January, 2006, Peggy Shannon, Matt Miller co-directors.
- Production, Mixed Blood Theatre Company, Minneapolis, February, 2005, Aditi Kapil, director.
- Production, Shunya Theatre Co @ The Ensemble Theater, Houston, January-February, 2005, Anil & Rathna Kumar, directors.
- World Premiere, East West Players, Los Angeles, September-October, 2002, Tim Dang & Sujata G. Bhatt, co-directors.
- Workshop, IAAC/The Lark Theatre, New York, November 2001, Madhur Jaffrey, director
- Staged reading, Japanese American National Museum, Los Angeles, January 31, 2002, Sujata G. Bhatt, director.
- Staged reading, Asian American Theater Company, San Francisco, March, 2001, Pamela Wu, director.